[Duplicity-talk] Deleting an individual chain (full+incremental), and th

From: Remy van Elst
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Deleting an individual chain (full+incremental), and the assertionerror
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 06:21:44 +0100

I'm not able to find it in the manual, but is there a command to remove a specific chain from the backup backend via duplicity?

For example:

I make an incremental backup every day and a full backup if the incremental backup is older than 7 days. I have say, 8 'weeks' of backups, with 7 full backups and the incrementals.

I want to delete the full backup and the 6 incremental backups from 3 weeks ago. How can I do that with duplicity? If I want to do it manually, which specific files would I have to remove from the backend?

The reason I'm asking this is because a lot of my backups give AssertionErrors once in while. Removing the local cache doesn't solve it. The annoying thing is that restoring fails, even from chains that never gave problems before (1 full, 6 incrementals). As far as I understand Duplicity, a full backup shouldn't be dependent on another full backup. Therefore I want to know if deleting the last full backup and incremental (which probably cause the AssertionError) solves the restore problem.

The thing I do now is just remove everything from the backend and start over, but that's a little too much I think.