Re: [Duplicity-talk] file restore failure?!

From: Cláudio Gil
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] file restore failure?!
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2016 12:58:48 +0000

Hi,

I also had some getting used to with "restore". There is always the "--force" switch, to overwrite stuff, but Duplicity avoids overwriting stuff by default and always works in sequencial volumes. That breaks some of my typical mental cases like thinking "if I backup A to B then I should be able to restore B to A" and "It should be reasy/fast to restore a single file". Actually you are supposed to restore on side of the original data (empty directory) and do the rest locally. Also, restoring a single file implies downloading between 1 (typical) and all volumes (rare) and, as such, the backup/restore is "optimized" for disasters and not for fine grained control.

At least these were the lessons I learned and that helped me figure out how to use duplicity in my backup scenarios.

Cheers,
Cláudio