Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problem with --exclude-if-present in version 0.7.10

From: Aaron
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problem with --exclude-if-present in version 0.7.10
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2016 11:59:35 +0100

Hello Richard,

On 2016-08-29 09:50, Richard via Duplicity-talk wrote:
I want to send a backup with --exclude-if-present=TAG and
--include-filelist.
The folder /src/folder is not accessible (mode 750, not owner, not
member of group). This folder is excluded by way of '- **/folder' in
the include filelist.

duplicity 0.7.10 (python 2.7.12) fails with
OSError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/src/folder/TAG'

duplicity 0.7.06 prints
Error accessing possibly locked file /src/folder

That makes sense. 0.7.06 threw read errors if any folders within the backup path were locked/unreadable, even if those were explicitly excluded. In 0.7.10, it only gives the “Error accessing possibly locked file” if the file/folder is not excluded. You shouldn’t receive this error because you have excluded the folder. If you remove the - **/folder in the include filelist (and anything else in your include filelist that would exclude that folder), this error should come back again (please let me know if that isn’t the case). The only difference that should be fixed, therefore, is that the OSError should be suppressed if the folder is separately excluded in a different selection function. This difference should not have any impact on what is backed up in this case (or any I can think of), but I will make a bug for this and add it to my list.

Does the selection process resolve
exclude-if-present=TAG before it looks at include/exclude filelists
anyway ?

As per the manual:
--exclude-if-present filename
Exclude directories if filename is present. Allows the user to specify folders that they do not wish to backup by adding a specified file (e.g. ".nobackup") instead of maintaining a comprehensive exclude/include list. This option needs to come before any other include or exclude options.

So you are supposed to put in that option before any other options (and it is therefore supposed to take priority over any other options). I’m not quite sure why this is mandated, as from a very quick look at the code it looks like it is just evaluated in order like the rest of the options — any ideas why this is in the manual, Kenneth (or anyone else)?

Kind regards,

Aaron