Re: [Duplicity-talk] ReadError: unexpected end of data

From: Adam M.
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] ReadError: unexpected end of data
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2016 18:41:24 +0000

Hi,

I'm still trying to understand what triggered my "unexpected end of data" error in tarfile.py.

1) Could it be a disk space issue?
The total size of the directory I'm trying to backup is 304G. Duplicity detected the following incremental changes:

A dir/dir/dir1      [603M]
A dir/dir/dir2      [1.2G]
A dir/dir/dir3      [16G]
A dir/dir/dir4      [21G]
A dir/dir/dir5      [48G]
M dir/dir/file1     [22M]
M dir/dir/file2     [18M]
A dir/dir/file3     [51M]
A dir/dir/file4     [5.6M]
A dir/dir/file5     [21M]
A dir/dir/file6     [12M]

I have not changed tempdir so it's probably /tmp which is a regular directory under /. The cache is set to /root/.cache/duplicity. /root is also a regular directory under /.
/ has 7.2G available.

But since s3-multipart-chunk-size is set to 100MB and volsize is set to 400MB it should be OK, right?

2) Could it be a corruption somewhere in a previous backup or in the cache?
Could it help to delete the cache? I was a bit reluctant to do that since the backups are stored in S3 (a mix of Glacier for the archives and standard storage for the sigtars and manifests) and I was afraid that rebuilding the cache would trigger an restore of the "glaciered" archives.

What do you think? Does anyone has an idea of something I could try to understand where the problem comes from?

Best regards,

--
A.