Re: [Duplicity-talk] Moving old sets to cold storage (listing files to b

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Moving old sets to cold storage (listing files to be deleted)
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2016 12:23:45 +0200

On 15.04.2016 12:18, Ladislav Laska wrote:
>> how about just sorting the file list alphabetically and then selecting the
>> first file with full in the name (memorizing the timestamp of it) and keep
>> selecting until the next file with a different full timestamp, excluding it.
>
> Well, yeah, but 11k files. Although I might put something heavy on my insert
> key
> in mc :-)

consider using shell magic. like piping ls into awk doing exec mv or so.

>>> For now, I'll try to use filesystem date and hope it's accruate. Is there
>>> any
>>> option to verify if the set is complete and no volume is missing, besides
>>> restoring the whole set?
>>>

>> you could locally, or wherever verify the chain. that's a restore file by
>> file and compare with a checksum. it obviously only checks files existing at
>> that point of time of course, meaning files flagged as deleted before are
>> not checked.
>> but as a basic check that should suffice, as it would throw up on corrupt or
>> missing volumes/files.
>
> So the 'verify' command? Seems a bit sad. It'll do, but is it too much to ask
> for a way to just check if the backend storage is instact, possibly comparing
> checksums of the individual volumes?

there are checksums that are used during verify/restore. simple listing is done
via signature files, volumes are not needed for that.

actually to verify you have to read the volumes one by one anyway which is
pretty much what a restore/verify does ;)