Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity doubt regarding incremental backups

From: Cláudio Gil
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity doubt regarding incremental backups
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2016 07:49:20 +0000

Hi,

I believe that, as you have configured:

1. The first time you run, duplicity makes a full backup.
2. The following times, it makes an incremental backup.
3. Nothing is ever deleted.

I think that remove-older-than considers all backups (full and incremental). Since each incremental backup depends on the previous backup, because you do not delete the last one nothing can be deleted. The last backup depends on the previous incremental, which is 2D older, which depends on the previous until you reach a full backup.

In the same way, since you specify remove-all-inc-of-but-n-full 1 and you only have 1 full backup, nothing gets deletes.

That's how duplicity works. Every time it is run it creates a backup, even if "empty". And that backup, unless asked otherwise, is incremental and depends on the previous. So you need to do a full backup eventually to be able to clean things up. The easiest way is to add --full-if-older-than <time> to the backup command.

To avoid doing a backup when things do not change you have to create a script around duplicity that possibly checks the output of a dry-run. Just note that while it seems cleaner to only have backups when things change, an incremental is very fast (my raspberry PI does an incremental backup of 500GB to S3 in under 15min, when nothing changes).

Cheers,
Cláudio