Re: [Duplicity-talk] how does duplicity decide which files are "new" or

From: Michael Hellwig
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] how does duplicity decide which files are "new" or "changed"?
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2015 14:15:22 +0200

On Tue, Aug 04, 2015 at 08:39:07AM +0100, Cláudio Gil wrote:
> Try increasing the log verbosity to debug to see a little more detail. For
> example, it will list the entire chain of full and incremental backups.

Checking log verbosity -v8, I see that apparently duplicity can't find
all my incremental backups, which is extremely weird.

it says:
Found 0 secondary backup chains.
Found primary backup chain with matching signature chain:
-------------------------
Chain start time: Thu Jun 4 23:22:49 2015
Chain end time: Thu Jun 4 23:22:49 2015
Number of contained backup sets: 1
Total number of contained volumes: 159
Type of backup set:                      Time:            Num volumes:
               Full   Thu Jun 4 23:22:49 2015                      159
No orphaned or incomplete backup sets found.

nevertheless, when I ssh to the backup target host and ls -l the
directory where all those backups are stored I see all the files for all
the times I did an incremental backup (and apparently those incermental
backups all contained all the diffs back to the full backup again and
again and again).

So .. To rephrase my question, how does duplicity determine it's backup
chain? I.e. where do I have an error _there_?