Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring from Glacier to S3

From: Andrew Langhorn
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Restoring from Glacier to S3
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 10:01:21 +0100

Compared to S3, Glacier will take a lot longer to restore. It's primary purpose is archiving whereas S3 is an object store. The trade-off is speed vs price, since you should rarely need to restore from a Glacier vault.

Do you have auto-archiving set on your S3 bucket? You can check in the console. If so, turn that off, and your files should then stay in the S3 bucket assuming Duplicity isn't talking to Glacier some other way - which given the s3:// URIs being used seems unlikely, but is possible, I suppose.

Do you have the sigfiles in the Duplicity cache? I might be wrong, but I thought that if they were in the cache, it wouldn't download them. It may be that the sigfiles it's downloading are new.