Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encrypt without the private key?

From: Aaron Whitehouse
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encrypt without the private key?
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 13:37:13 +0000

Hi Norbert,

I've tested this with duplicity 0.6.23 and it seems to work for me - I can encrypt to a key when the machine doesn't have the secret key and it does not prompt for a passphrase. Could you please try with a recent version and see if the problem persists?

I have two guesses (without looking at the code) as to why it may prompt for a passphrase but continue without one:
1) it is trying to sign, even though you haven't asked it to; or
2) it is trying to do some kind of encryption test before starting - I think that duply does this, for example.

Kind regards,

Aaron