Re: [Duplicity-talk] tunneling

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] tunneling
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 11:50:55 +0100

On 12.03.2015 11:39, ST wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-03-12 at 11:28 +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>> On 12.03.2015 11:24, ST wrote:
>>> Thank you very much,

>>> Will this work if on host2 I have only sftp access and not the full ssh
>>> access? Right now I use following command:
>>>     ssh -L 2222:address@hidden:22 address@hidden -p XXXX
>>>
>>> after this I get on host1 (I have ssh keys installed), but when I try on
>>> another terminal:
>>>     sftp -P 2222 localhost
>>> I get in that terminal:
>>> ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
>>> Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer
>>>
>>> And on the terminal with the active connection to host1:
>>> channel 3: open failed: administratively prohibited: open failed
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> you can only tunnel through machines where you have ssh, not only sftp,
>> access. can you login to host2 using ssh?
>
> On the end target - host2 I have only sftp(scp,webdav,ftp,Samba/CIFS)
> access, on the intermediate host1 I have full ssh access and can login
> there. Is there such thing as sftp tunnel? Or maybe I can use other
> protocols listed above somehow?

sftp is essentially ssh with a forced shell binary, namely sftp_server. try to
debug your issue by

1. establishing the tunnel first
2. ssh to the tunnel localhost:tunnelport

you can raise ssh verbosity via -v parameter. see it's manpage.

you might need to explicitely give an auth key parameter, as your ssh might
think it logs into localhost.

you can of course setup everything in .ssh/config and use the host definition
from there to keep your commandline short. but that's only needed if you plan
to use the command manually often.