Re: [Duplicity-talk] SSH backend and shell escaping

From: Yves Goergen
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] SSH backend and shell escaping
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 14:15:56 +0100

Am 09.12.2014 um 23:23 schrieb Kenneth Loafman:
As a past consultant on Software Configuration Management, I can freely
say, without a doubt, that the whole LTS process is a nightmare. What it
amounts to is a separate development tree for each release operating in
parallel with all the other releases.

You may be right from a developer's point of view. I know that perspective as well. But now I'm at the other end. Upgrading from 10.04 to 14.04. I'm busy for a whole week now to update everything to work like before! And some critical services still don't work like before. If I imagine I had just done a dist-upgrade on the old machine, we'd have been completely out of business for 2 weeks. That just doesn't work.

I really did think that I might take the next LTS train in 2 years instead of 4 years, and do an in-place update. (You can't skip Ubuntu LTS versions when upgrading.) But after so much work I don't think this is a good solution. We might just keep this setup for another 4 years and then build up a new (and again more powerful - not that we'd need it) machine in parallel to switch over the moment it's working.

So while the developers want me to use their latest musings, I just can't rewrite my configurations every couple months only to keep it doing what it perfectly did before. (And test environments can't do everything the live system can, and they're always different.)

That's why I'm on LTS and I'm going to stay there. It gives me the safety that it won't change too much and still be secure.

--
Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.de