Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encryption password selection

From: Yves Goergen
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Encryption password selection
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 19:26:02 +0100

Am 08.12.2014 um 18:30 schrieb address@hidden:
for symmetric encryption passphrases anything from length of one character up
should work.

Okay. I've seen systems where a certain maximum length of a password must not be exceeded. And when using a password for encrpytion, there may be certain restrictions about how long a "key" must be. So if I specify some random 30 characters that's fine. (I keep them stored in a file, don't need to remember them.)

yes, you can encrypt symmetrically and sign the result with a key.

Oh, so signing is not possible if I don't use a key file. Which I never did. Didn't know it was possible. But I think I can only benefit the signature validation if I have the GnuPG key for restoring, so I might as well use that for encryption, too, instead of that PASSPHRASE environment variable that's not well explained.

--
Yves Goergen
http://unclassified.de