Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 costs for PUT requests

From: Russell Clemings
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 costs for PUT requests
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2014 11:50:24 -0800

I get an error with "--volsize=25M".

What works is "--volsize=25" (just the number).

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 6:00 AM, Cláudio Gil <address@hidden> wrote:
The actual parameter is --volsize, for example --volsize=25M. The --max_blocksize controls how files are split into chunks, when determining what has changed and needs to be added to the tar files.

On 28/11/14 13:46, Jon Beyer wrote:
> Hi there, I'm interested in using Duplicity, but I have a server with
> a lot of small files.  Does each file map to a PUT request, or are
> multiple files streamlined into a single PUT request?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Cheers,
> Jon

Duplicity archives files into tar files before encrypting them, by
default these tar files are ~25MB/per, you can however change this. I'm
not sure the exact command, but, I think it might be --max_blocksize
(Note:- never tried it myself, see manpage for more info).

Duplicity also uploads manafest and signature files (Rdiff) which are
relatively small most of the time, I'm not sure how it deals with those
as I've never used the S3 backend.