Re: [Duplicity-talk] windows shadow service (for locked files)

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] windows shadow service (for locked files)
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 11:07:32 +0200

On 15.10.2014 07:04, Bedros Hanounik wrote:
> is there a possibility to support volume shadow service (vss) when backuping
> up locked files such as outlook.pst files?
>
> I found one thread in the past about this topic, but I'm looking for a built
> in support for vss in duplicity
>
> after some research I found a module called pyvss that supports vss and the
> API is very simple, you can check if a file is locked, and then make a
> snapshot of it.
>
> Can one of the developer look into this, or at least point me to what python
> file I should start looking into; basically, where files are inspected for
> change, then backed up; I can add code to check if file locked, then send the
> path of snapshot to backup function.

first. you are one of the few running duplicity under windows. how do you
achieve that?

second. while probably a useful addition i doubt the maintainer will go for the
dependency on one python module for one platform only. so if you really want to
add it you would have to write the code in a way that only depends on it when
running into this specific condition under windows.

Ken: any hiints?