[Duplicity-talk] Transfer performance drops sharply after a few hours

From: Carlos Chavez
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Transfer performance drops sharply after a few hours
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 12:00:48 -0500

I am using duplicity to backup a remote server over the Internet. A full backup is about 150GB. The remote server has a 1gbps link to the INternet and the server in our office has a symetric 200mbps link. When I start the backup I can see the first transfers using all the available bandwidth but after a few hours it drops and the rest of the transfers only use around 6mbps. Because of that the full backup can take days to complete which makes things difficult.

Both servers run CentOS 6.5 and the remote is using Duplicity 0.6.24 but for compatibility issues we have to use the "--ssh-backend pexpect" option. I also changed the --volsize to 50 to see if that improved performance but it does not seem to. Anyone know why the transfer rate drops? Here is the command I use to run duplicity:

/usr/bin/duplicity --volsize 50 --ssh-backend pexpect --no-encryption --full-if-older-than 14D --include-globbing-filelist /root/backupinclude.txt / ssh://example.com//respaldos/cabana

Carlos Chávez
+52 (55)9116-91161