Re: [Duplicity-talk] Migrating to a different data store URL

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Migrating to a different data store URL
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 20:34:42 +0200

On 20.08.2014 19:21, David Ehrmann wrote:
> It looks like migrating to a new data store (from file:// to s3, or s3 to
> ssh) is as simple as moving the files, and optionally renaming the
> ~/.cache/duplicity entry to the md5 of the new destination, though omitting
> the last step will just cause Duplicity to fetch the metadata. Obviously, all
> the prefix flags will have to match, but otherwise, it looks like migrating
> is straightforward.
>
> Am I missing anything? My plan is to do an initial backup to a local disk,
> use AWS Import to move the data to S3, then do incremental backups off of
> that.

nope, you're pretty much describing the way backups are done by people
dissatisfied by duplicity doing the upload (usually because of small upload
bandwidth), leading to the backup running for days on fulls. the suggested way
is to do your backups always to a local target and simply mirror that to
wherever you want the backup to end up.

you can of course only do half of that but be aware that very long backup
chains are discouraged with duplicity. one corrupted file disrupts your backup
from that time on to the end of the chain. hence periodical full are suggested.

..ede/duply