Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why 'duplicity without private key' is a bad idea -

From: Radomír Černoch
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why 'duplicity without private key' is a bad idea - WAS: Restart duplicity without private key
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2014 15:33:22 +0200

On 19 June 2014 15:07,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 19.06.2014 14:22, Radomir Cernoch wrote:
>> OK, I see your point. I had 2 motivations for the "without private key":
>> 1) Backup several machines with a single key pair for easier management.
>
> that's insecure by design

Really? Could you elaborate on this, please?
I planned to use a public key for encryption and store the private key off-line.
In what ways is this less secure than your proposed scenario?

>> Your solution indeed solves both issues. However, there is a price to
>> pay: Twice the storage and twice the processor time for encrypting.
>
> don't understand, why? you mean key creation?

Sorry, this was a mistake on my side. After having read more about
GPG, the rest of my questions became irrelevant.