Re: [Duplicity-talk] Very long backup times, maybe needs for a distribut

From: Rubin Abdi
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Very long backup times, maybe needs for a distributed backup system
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:43:43 -0700

I'm new to duplicity and am using duply to make things a little less
painful. Out of my limited experience so far I can sort of kind of say
the following...

* The first backup takes forever. Backing up something around 800GB to
1.5TB from my laptop to a home server running a RAID6 over gigabit
ethernet and SSH took about 40 hours and a lot of cussing.

* If all you know you'll do is local backups and restores over a fast
network, raising the --volsize helps. I pushed mine to 250MB a pop.
However it sucks horribly when you need to restore something tiny (like
when I needed to unbork /var/lib/apt/extended_states last week) over the
internet and your house has crappy DSL.

* Do you need encryption for each of your backups? If not, turn it off,
will save you a lot of cycles. The biggest bottleneck for me was simply
building the encrypted difftars, sending it over the network and writing
it to a consumer grade RAID6 was mostly a drop in the bucket in comparison.

* The i/o and crypto is resource heavy, to a certain degree. Running
backups when nothing else is utilizing the machine is better.

With all that being said, I too am curious if there's a way to
distribute/parallelize gnupg or any of it actually over several cores?

--
Rubin