Re: [Duplicity-talk] webdav in trunk broken - File /tmp/... not found lo

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] webdav in trunk broken - File /tmp/... not found locally after get from backend
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 14:16:48 -0500

Never mind about the modern-testing bug.  The problem deleting them was that Eclipse had them open and hung.

On Tue, May 6, 2014 at 2:11 PM, Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
Ah!  Please be careful about that stuff.  I'm sure we all each have a local copy of the development trunk, but still.

Yes, I have a backup as well.

It looked like you did all the work I would have done.  Thanks!

I've pushed old lp:duplicity/0.7-series into an 0.7-series-old branch and pushed the development trunk into lp:duplicity/0.7-series  (do we even care about 0.7-series-old anymore?  It just had the par2 stuff which landed already, right?)

0.7-series-old can be deleted.

Here are my hopes for 0.6 & 0.7:
- We immediately mark 0.7-series as the development focus and make it an alias for lp:duplicity.
- We release 0.6.24 as soon as possible.  (does it need the webdav fix too?)
- We only backport frequent crashers and data-loss bug fixes to 0.6 after 0.6.24.
- We treat 0.7.0 as a normal release rather than an experimental release.  (i.e. instead of just pushing it out there with warnings to users, we instead just test the heck out of the backends before releasing)

Yes, I agree.  However, I'll mark 0.7-series as focus as soon as 0.6.24 is released (with the webdav fix).

With tox it will be much easier to fully test the 0.7-series, however, some of the backends are so narrow in scope that we'll have no access to a testing account.  In that case we'll just warn users that it may not be stable.

There is one more bug in the modern-testing we need to address.  The original test cases required root access.  testfiles.tar.gz and temp2.tar cannot be removed with user's permissions.  We may want to put a check in at the top level for being root, or refuse to run those tests.  Leaving those files exposed causes Eclipse to crash (I reported the bug to them a couple of years ago).  As an alternative, we could expand them in /tmp.

...Ken