Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity (GPG) fails in crontab only

From: Grant
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity (GPG) fails in crontab only
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 11:21:41 -0700

> Typically things fail in cron due to the relatively sterile
> environment that cron jobs inherit, although this failure
> sounds like gpg is unable to find the key rings.  Are
> the key files in ~root/.gnupg/?

The keys are in /root/.gnupg and I just noticed that mysqldump also
fails in my cron script and works fine when I run it manually.  Here's
the error:

mysqldump: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
(using password: NO) when trying to connect

I have the password in /root/.my.cnf.

> My idiom for testing cron script manually is to become
> root (or whatever other user the cron job is to run as)
> with su.  then "env -i bash -norc".

I tried that with mysqldump and indeed I do get the access denied
error with the env and not without.  Where should I look to find the
problem?  (I'm keeping that env command, thanks.)

- Grant