[Duplicity-talk] Google Drive vs. Google Cloud Storage

From: Chris Vanden Berghe
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Google Drive vs. Google Cloud Storage
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 16:06:17 +0800

Hi all,

I understand that Duplicity supports both Google Drive and Google Cloud
Storage through gdocs:// and gs:// respectively. Does anyone have a view
on the (dis)advantages of using GD vs GCS as a Duplicity backend in
terms of speed, reliability or other technical aspects? I understand
that the pricing model is different (tiers vs. actual usage, network
charges).

Because I'm moving from LAN to cloud backups, I'm also rethinking my
backup schedule. I used to make a full backup once per week with daily
incrementals while keeping at least 2 full backups. This might no longer
be practical as a full backup to GCS takes ~24h (for ~200GB). What is
the main disadvantage of less frequent full backups? Slower retrieval,
increasing total storage requirement or something else?

Thanks,
Chris.