Re: [Duplicity-talk] issues with exporting backups

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] issues with exporting backups
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 12:43:29 -0400

Mac uses a path separator of /.  If in the GUI you put a slash in the file name
the unix/POSIX layer sees the file name having a colon.

So in the GUI I have a file or folder in my home directory with the name "Data
3/2014" this shows up as a file to the unix/POSIX layer as "/Users/sth/Data\
3\:2014" in shell escape notation.

So the basic question is if duplicity actually puts a colon in the file name or
properly escapes it?  As far as I can tell the shell escapes the colon but
doesn't need to since I can reference the file appropriately without the escape
of the colon "/Users/sth/Data\ 3:2014"

The gui just translates the colon to a slash for display in the finder.  Colons
are not allowed in file name sin the finder since they translate to a slash
which is the path separator.  Why is duplicity just removing the whole thing as
a tilde is the question.

-Scott