Re: [Duplicity-talk] issues with exporting backups

From: Quinn Shanahan
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] issues with exporting backups
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 08:02:24 -0500

Cool, thanks for your help! I'll file a bug report. I'd be happy to fix it too, any advice at a place in the code to start looking would be great.

Quinn

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 7:55 AM, <address@hidden> wrote:
On 18.03.2014 12:53, Quinn Shanahan wrote:
> Hi, I experienced two issues while "checking out" my backup:
>
> 1. All the timestamps were reset. I read online that this could be because the target does not have the user / groups the original machine did. I don't really care about preserving the original user and groups, but I do want the timestamps. Is there any workaround for this?

restore as root. duplicity can restore file attributes only as superuser somehow. dunno why.

> 2. OS X allows slashes (/) in filenames (they read as colons when printed in the terminal). When duplicity creates the file, it gives it a name like: AGO2OZ~A.DOC when the orginal filename was something like "ago / something.doc".
>
> any help is greatly appreciated! I apologize if I overlooked something in the doc that would explain this.

that's probably a bug in duplicity, which probably occurs rarely because of the few mac users + the idea to name files like that. please file a bug at launchpad but do not expect someone to jump at solving it.