[Duplicity-talk] --no-compression is broken WAS: Backup not restorable w

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] --no-compression is broken WAS: Backup not restorable with no compression?
Date: Sun, 02 Feb 2014 19:38:08 +0100

i spent some time on debugging this. here is the result so far

renaming the volumes works because they are actually gzipped. this is because
we have two bugs

1. in duplicity.write_multivol() we always create GZIPFiles, around line 396

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.6-series/view/head:/bin/duplicity#L396

2. our tarfile implementation does not complain when it can't read the file
properly, but seems to deliver zero entries instead. i didn't dig up where it
should do that but expect somewhere in 'tarfile.py'.

sure, we could easily remove the option. it seems to be not even documented in
the man page.
BUT i strongly feel we should keep and fix it as
- it'll help others to understand our data format better and
- maybe in the future will make it easier to implement an even better
replacement data format.

unfortunately my python isn't good enough to implement the PlainWriteFile. i
assume one could reuse the code of GzipWriteFile here

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.6-series/view/head:/duplicity/gpg.py#L347
and write into a python file object instead.

any hints? Ken, Mike?

bug number 2. is not that serious, but leaves a stale taste, as a proper error
would be expected.

..ede/duply.net