[Duplicity-talk] How to register a new backend (Pyrax for Rackspace Clou

From: Miguel Jacq
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] How to register a new backend (Pyrax for Rackspace Cloud)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 09:39:05 +1000

Hi,

I am trying to register the Pyrax (new, supported Rackspace Cloud API) backend
with Duplicity in favour of the deprecated 'python-cloudfiles' API which
provides the cf+http:// backend.

I followed the guide described here:
http://gsusmonzon.blogspot.com.au/2013/07/backup-with-duplicity-and-rackspace.html

In particular, I can confirm I have:

1) fetched the pyraxbackend.py from
https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1179322
2) stored it in /usr/share/pyshared/duplicity/backends/
3) symlinked it to
/usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/duplicity/backends/pyraxbackend.py
4) ran python -m compileall /usr/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/duplicity/backends

I see that pyraxbackend.py includes this line:

        duplicity.backend.register_backend("cfpyrax+http", PyraxBackend)

Yet when I run my duplicity command, I receive this:

UnsupportedBackendScheme: scheme not supported in url:
cfpyrax+http://backup_XXXXXX

Is there a missing step I need to perform to register this backend?

I am running Debian 6 (still), on the rather old Duplicity 0.6.08b. I can
consider upgrading (I need to anyway) but wondering if I'll face the same
problem, in that there's a missing step to register a backend?

Thanks in advance,

Mig