Re: [Duplicity-talk] Big bandwidth bill from Rackspace

From: Nate Eldredge
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Big bandwidth bill from Rackspace
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:56:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Jun 2013, Joseph D. Wagner wrote:

On 06/10/2013 12:20 pm, address@hidden wrote:
yes. essentially it restores any file of the latest backup and compares
it to the original path in the local file system. therefore pretty much
all the last full and the incremental volumes have to be downloaded
again.

Why does it need to download the entire file? Why not just download a list of files and their checksums (CRC32/64 or if paranoid SHA1/256/512)? This would minimize bandwidth usage for verify operations and be just as effective as comparing the whole file.

This would tell you whether your local file had changed, but it wouldn't actually verify the backup. Suppose some of the backup volumes are corrupted, but the signature / checksum files are intact. Your proposal would not detect this.

I don't think there's any way to truly verify the backup other than fetching all the volumes, since we don't assume that we can run code or store encryption keys on the backend.

--
Nate Eldredge