Re: [Duplicity-talk] (no subject)

From: Paul Barker
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] (no subject)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 15:22:38 +0000

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 12:32:03 +0100
address@hidden wrote:

> sudo -E _keeps_ the current $HOME environment variable. so if you run
> it as /user/ it will keep (probably HOME=/home/user) which is not
> what you want to do. you want it to reset the environment momentarily
> to root's so HOME will contain root's HOME (probably /root) so
> duplicity/ssh can find and add it there.

This may be due to peculiarities of Ubuntu Server 12.04 but on my
machine I get:

address@hidden ~ $ sudo env | grep HOME
HOME=/home/paul
address@hidden ~ $ sudo -E env | grep HOME
HOME=/home/paul
address@hidden ~ $ sudo -H env | grep HOME
HOME=/root

This has caught me out before using duplicity, thought it was worth a
mention on here.

Thanks,

Paul Barker