Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Duplicity-team] Duplicity and /tmp

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] [Duplicity-team] Duplicity and /tmp
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 11:20:14 +0100

On 15.01.2013 03:27, Michael Terry wrote:
> So in Fedora 18, they are using tmpfs, and duplicity is running out of space
> a lot.
>
> What steps have been taken to reduce the /tmp space usage?
>
> I would think we would need some multiple of volsize.  But it seems we need a
> multiple of the largest file being backed up?

yes, for restoring, verifying and generally actions that need a resulting file
patched up to a state of a specific time the librsync routine actually needs
the file locally and creates a patched copy. this is repeated until the desired
state is reached and the temporary file then "restored" or compared against the
checksum.

actually we need 2xlargest file plus probably 2 volumes (if asynchronous)

we had an issue up 0.6.20 where these file always ended up in posix TEMPDIR.
now they end up in the duplicity temp folder which is properly relocatable.

..ede