Re: [Duplicity-talk] Keep running out of space on restore

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Keep running out of space on restore
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:32:40 +0100

On 13.12.2012 02:33, Monte Milanuk wrote:
> Okay... I'm pretty much out of ideas here.
>
> I had been using Deja Dup, a gui front end for duplicity.  I backed up my
> user home directory off my PC running Ubuntu 12.10 to a remote Samba share
> mounted on the local file system.  I had intentions (delusions, at this
> point) of restoring these files via duplicity to a temp directory on another
> newer machine and extracting the files I needed when/as needed.
>
> The machine I'm on *now* is a ThinkPad T530, with Mint 14 running in a 20GB
> root partition, another 200GB mounted under /srv/data, and the Samba share
> from my ReadyNAS Duo v2 mounted under /srv/data/backup/hp-pc.
>
> I've gone through various iterations of this, first running out of space
> because I was trying to restore directly to a temp dir inside the user's home
> directory.

be aware: duplicity needs 2 times the space of the (biggest) file you want to
restore in TMP plus some volumes (see volume size in manpage)

due to a bug (fixed in 0.6.20) 2 the 2 times file restored tempfiles did not
honor this setting correctly. it used the posix tmpfile() routine.

>Then because the temp file filled up the root partition.  Now I'm running the
>following command:
>
> machin-sin data # duplicity -vi --tempdir /srv/data/backup/tmp/
> file:///srv/data/backup/hp-pc/linux/ /srv/data/restore
>
> ...which should, if I'm reading the examples right, specify a tempdir of
> '/srv/backup/tmp' to prevent filling up /, and sources the backup stored on
> the NAS and mounted under /srv/data/backup/hp-pc/linux, and finally extracts
> the files to /srv/data/restore, which is on the 200GB data partition.

[SNIP]

> Any ideas?

yeah :) ..
A. use 0.6.20
 or
B. try setting the additional env var TMPDIR for an older duplicity, see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1965100/set-directory-of-tmpfile-on-linux

that should pretty much cover it. ..ede/duply.net