Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity error message/traceback

From: Joe Auty
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity error message/traceback
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 14:57:10 -0400

September 19, 2012 2:59 AM
September 19, 2012 12:55 AM
Oh, sorry.  I meant sigtar.gpg and I guess I really meant sigtar.gz.  (difftar/sigtar was just me being stupid, gpg/gz was me forgetting that the files aren't encrypted until we put them in the remote backend).

I'd be interested to see if the following (corrected) line works fine for all your sigtar files:

for t in *.sigtar.gz; do tar xfz $t; done

It looks like this might be the problem, as after issuing this command I eventually got:

tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

if the signature file was downloaded from Amazon, does this mean that perhaps my full backup is corrupt?

I'll assume that this was indeed the cause, and I'll run another full backup and report back.

-mt

September 19, 2012 12:37 AM
Hmmm.. For some reason my cache doesn't have files ending with difftar.gpg:

# ls *
a67fc78086219ec50c01ba4b23c7cc96:

c7fe99c17ad6b9f4050106dfd1267dce:
duplicity-full.20120915T071457Z.manifest  duplicity-full-signatures.20120915T071457Z.sigtar.gz

dff4abdd3f1f0ba52de0cae7860641d6:

f1c2e1f58d8be01f446d36ae1fec6831:
duplicity-full.20110803T073117Z.manifest
duplicity-full-signatures.20110803T073117Z.sigtar.gz
duplicity-inc.20110803T073117Z.to.20110805T000912Z.manifest
duplicity-new-signatures.20110803T073117Z.to.20110805T000912Z.sigtar.gz

Turning the cache folder over (and it is not running out of space, there is tons available), I'm still getting the same error. I'll post stuff to Pastebin shortly for you guys to see more of the output.

September 18, 2012 10:41 PM
Joe, it looks like the error is happening when trying to read an
existing signature tarfile, which is something duplicity uses
internally to determine which files have changed and such.
(.sigtar.gpg files)

You might have lots of those files. It would help to see which one is
causing you pain. You'll have two copies of each, one in your cache
and one in Amazon S3. For now, let's look at the ones in the cache.

** Brief aside, if you move ~/.cache/duplicity aside (*Do not delete,
and move it back after testing this*), do you get the same behavior
when you try your backup command?

So let's try to find which of your existing cache sigtar files might be bogus:

cd ~/.cache/duplicity/* (whichever cache directory is being used here)
gpg --multifile --decrypt duplicity*signatures.*.*.difftar.gpg
for t in duplicity-full.20110127T131352Z.*.difftar; do tar xf $t; done

This is rather a shotgun approach, that will decrypt and untar all
your signature files. You can delete them safely afterward, I'm just
trying to see which, if any, tar will complain about.

-mt

September 18, 2012 3:15 PM
well, yes.. i need to see what is going on: espeially command line and maybe 100 lines before the stack.. something like that. you can as well just attach a compressed file if pastebin says it's to big.

..ede

September 18, 2012 1:25 PM
It's an absolutely massive backup, do you mean this literally? Everything before the snipped stuff was just pages upon pages of file comparison output. There was nothing unusual immediately before the Pastebin output other than another file comparison.