[Duplicity-talk] Using as a more efficient sync mechanism

From: Konstantin Ryabitsev
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Using as a more efficient sync mechanism
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:13:51 -0700

Hello:

I am pondering the following -- would it be possible to use duplicity as
a way to sync changes between a number of systems in a more efficient
manner than rsync proper.

Example:

I have host0:/srv/bajillionfiles and host[1-9]:/srv/bajillionfiles

The contents of "bajillionfiles" change frequently, but not by a lot.
Running rsync between host0 and host[1-9] is extremely inefficient,
because for each 9 hosts it has to chew throw a bajillion files and
compare them with host0.

It would seem to me that using duplicity I can just do it once, on host0
and create "difftars" that I can distribute to host[1-9] that would only
contain the changes. Is there a way to take these difftars and "replay"
them on host[1-9] using duplicity?

And if not, whom do I bribe to make this possible? :)

Best,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev
Systems Administrator