Re: [Duplicity-talk] Ubuntu One backend

From: Paul Barker
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Ubuntu One backend
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 14:26:40 +0100

Hi again,

I'm very busy at the minute so will only occasionally get time to work
on a new Ubuntu One backend for Duplicity. However I do have some
initial code written which I should have time to test later this
weekend. It currently picks up the oauth keys from environment variables
(U1_CONSUMER_KEY, etc). This requires the login to be handled externally
and the oauth keys stored, but this needs to be reviewed. I'll send the
code once I've tested it and added error handling.

Looking at Ubuntu One itself, the recommended practice seems to be to
log in once and store the oauth keys rather than logging in with
username and password for every access. Repeated logins do create extra
oauth keys which are stored on the Ubuntu One server, which is less than
ideal as it may confuse a user who wants to empty out some old unused
sessions. I'm not sure how to fit this type of behavior into Duplicity
as you'd need to provide a username and password on the initial run and
then cache the oauth keys somewhere for future use. The alternative is
to have a separate login command which then stores the oauth keys. Any
advice on how to make this fit in well with the normal usage pattern of
Duplicity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Barker
address@hidden