[Duplicity-talk] Download attempts

From: Simon KP
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Download attempts
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:05:20 +1000

Hi all,

I have been using duplicity within a script to loop over a list of system directories and back them up to Amazon S3.

Recently I was alerted by my hosting provider about going over my inbound allocation for this server. And it's being going on for a few months now - making me a few hundred dollars in debt.

Upon closer inspection, I've found "Warning, found incomplete backup sets, probably left from aborted session" warning from the duplicity run that I receive an email with, however the run completes successfully. When I ran the script manually with iftop running, I found out that duplicity hangs on the above warning with iftop showing constant traffic coming from Amazon. When I tried to ^C out of it, I saw "Download s3+http://.......sigtar.gpg failed (attempt #1)". So the directory that duplicity hangs on and starts downloading is 4GB in size. At the moment it looks like duplicity attempting to download this file (possibly multiple times) pushed me over my allocation. Can somebody tell me why it's trying to download - effectively doing a restore instead of a backup? Is this intended functionality? If the source directory was 10s of GB in size, surely we wouldn't want to download that.

Regards,

Simon