Re: [Duplicity-talk] apparent memory leak on OS X

From: Brian Gitonga Marete
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] apparent memory leak on OS X
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 11:27:14 +0300

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Michael Terry <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 21 December 2011 19:29, Johann Heller <address@hidden> wrote:
> > I'm seeing the same large memory leak on Mac OS X. Details below:
>
> OK, I think I've got a handle on this.  In our old tarfile.py, Ben
> Escoto had commented out a part of the TarFile class that kept a cache
> of all the TarInfo objects that went into the TarFile.  His comment
> for the change was about how it took too much memory.

I am hitting this issue on Ubuntu 11.04 with duplicity 0.6.17. On a
~50GB backup, duplicity will eventually take up around 3G of memory.
On a 4G machine, all I get is thrashing and have to kill the backup
job before it completes.

There does not seem to be any fix already committed. Could you kindly
mail a patch to the list? Or recommend a quick work-around? (For
example which commit to revert if you think that will work?)

Thanks!

BGM.

--
Brian Gitonga Marete