Re: [Duplicity-talk] changed files not being backed up

From: Roy Badami
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] changed files not being backed up
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2011 14:59:05 +0000

On 23/12/2011 14:55, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Change time, ctime, is for any modification of the file, i.e. content or metadata. Modification time, mtime, only registers the change of content on the inode. So, if we go to ctime, the file will be backed up if any metadata changes, which is probably the way it should be.

However, I'm willing to bet some will argue the current check is correct. I seem to remember this discussion happening before.

It should probably be configurable.

e.g. some backup systems have the option to automatically touch atimes back after backing up the files. If such a backup system is in use on a system, the ctimes will be constantly updated (touching the atime back will update the ctime). So if duplicity was being run on a system where such backups were also performed, relying on ctimes would be undesirable.

roy