Re: [Duplicity-talk] Mirroring vs. Sets

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Mirroring vs. Sets
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 23:53:25 +0100

On 04.12.2011 23:35, email builder wrote:
SNAP

that's standard backup methodology. backups should protect from accidential
deletion or hidden data corruption as well, which you might notice as late as
after several backups.

OK that makes sense, but I'm planning to mirror multiple user email
data from a server to probably more than one location.  I think in that
case, mirroring is the standard methodology.  It seems like historical
backups are used more for personal data.

Does that make sense or.... not?

on a second thought. how do you expect an encrypted backup to add an increment
if not as a set to a chain? for this you would have to encrypt the chunks rsync
computes and i know of no software that does that. the only alternative would
be to do fulls all the time.

Plus, from the example given of 14MB extra in 2 months on top of a
90MB data set, that's not insignificant, especially when handling bigger
(and rapidly changing as email does) data sets.

what is your mileage here?.. i consider a mailbox with 2GB reasonable and
backupable. It'll proably change by less than 20MB every day.

SNIP

Well, obviously I'm naive here, but I came to find duplicity because of the
encryption.  rsync + gpg.  If rdiffdir doesn't encrypt, why not just use rsync?
Anyhow... since it sounds like the only way to use encryption is to stay
with duplicity, I ask again if there's a way to effectively implement mirroring
without historical information?  (without also having to do full backups every
time)

no. you should look for other options, duplicity is not the only encrypting
backup software.

If I'm doing something really inadvisable, I'm open to hearing opinions too.

if suggest try duplicity for fesability plus look around for alternatives.

ede/duply.net