Re: [Duplicity-talk] Question about duplicity upgrade

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Question about duplicity upgrade
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 10:24:09 +0100

On 25.11.2011 09:45, Doug Barton wrote:
> On 11/25/2011 00:17, Chris Poole wrote:
>> On 25 Nov 2011, at 08:00, Doug Barton <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the response. It sounds like what you're saying is that it
>>> wouldn't be safe for me to just drop 0.6.x into an existing system and
>>> proceed as I have been. That makes sense, just wanted to be sure.
>>
>> To be honest I'm not sure; I don't think there were any huge changes in the
>> way duplicity constructs the encrypted difftar files, but to be safe I'd
>> just start fresh. You don't want to find it says it works the end up with a
>> restore issue at a critical time; backups should be conservative. (Generally
>> a good idea periodically anyway, you don't want a very long incremental
>> chain.)

Actually there were some changes, especially the backend file naming which
usually lead to errors. To be safe you should actually

- keep latest 0.5.x around to be able to restore your old backup, check
Installation->Tip here
http://duply.net/?title=Duply-documentation
- install 0.6.x and backup to a second path in the backend so you know which
backup is which version