[Duplicity-talk] Feedback highly welcome: Rapidshare-backend for Duplici

From: Willem Jansen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Feedback highly welcome: Rapidshare-backend for Duplicity
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 13:01:28 +0100

Hello everyone,

that you for your comments on my initial Rapidshare backend!
I was able to incorporate them and here comes my first beta version

How to use:
===========
- Obtain Rapidshare account (free account is enough for developing & try-out purposes)
- copy rapidsharebackend.py in your duplicity-backend-directory
- change your backup configuration:
  + Target: 'rs://www.rapidshare.com/<desired target directory>'
  + Username + password = <Credentials from Rapidshare>

Changes since last time:
- Added automatic subdirectory usage as Rapidshare only allows for 3000 files per folder
- Added error-handling
- Added auto-recognition of account status (premium or free)
- Added comments
- Added warnings: "Free Rapidshare account is not save for Backups" (yet a free account is good enough for testing & development)

Limitations:
============
- Volume size >2GB not supported yet
- Exceptions on connection level, e.g.,SSL errors, are not yet handled properly (backup fails, restart should do)

Next steps / call for support
- Testing "in the wild" by multiple users (yes, that's you :)
- Code review by one of you gurus out there
- Feedback, feedback, feedback
- Obtain information how to add the - then tested - backend to the official version of duplicity

I would really like to encourage all duplicity-enthusiasts to support me on this, I guess this could be a cheap yet reliable&fast backup alternative for a lot of private users :)

   Kind regards,
      Willem Jansen