[Duplicity-talk] diffs of signatures (was: file history feature)

From: Eliot Moss
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] diffs of signatures (was: file history feature)
Date: Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:16:25 -0500

On 11/2/2011 11:06 AM, address@hidden wrote:
is there any file history feature planned in duplicity or done already in any
of the frontends?

meaning a command that given an expression or path lists the matching files in
every available backup chain together with the available metadata?

I have a related wondering. One of my typical uses for
duplicity is to back up my email folders. I have over
3000 of them, which comes to over 6000 files in Thunderbird.
I back up often, frequently more than once a day, so most
are unchanged, and those that change are usually changed
only a bit. Therefore, the diff-tar files are usually not
very large.

Curiously, the sig-tar files are often larger. I suspect this
is because if a file is changed, duplicity records its entire
new signature. Therefore, if I have a large email file, which
changes only a little, the sig-tar information can be much
larger than the diff-tar information.

What I want to propose is that duplicity store *diffs* of
signatures rather than complete signatures.  (Ideally it
might adaptively put in the whole signature once in a while,
to avoid going back too far just to build a signature, but
that's an added level of complexity.)

What are folks thoughts about that?

Regards -- Eliot Moss