Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 17:59:46 +0200

On 31.08.2011 17:16, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 8/31/2011 10:46 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> On 31.08.2011 15:33, Eliot Moss wrote:
>>> On 8/31/2011 8:04 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>
>> the manual states that you need --partial to activate resuming.
>> --partial-dir is merely mentioned as a 'better way' to store the part files.
>> are you sure it resumes without --partial set?
>
> It actually works with --partial-dir alone; that is, --partial-dir
> implies --partial.  However, setting the environment variable
> RSYNC_PARTIAL_DIR does *not* imply --partial.  However, if the
> env var is set and the user specifies --partial (but not
> --partial-dir) then it is as if the user said
> --partial=dir=${RYNC_PARTIAL_DIR}.

ahh, thanks for explaining

>> what is your rationale against --rsync-options='', it can do the same but
>> much more if somebody intents to. a hint in the manpage can tell people to
>> consider --rsync-options='--partial' and we are set.
>
> No deep objections -- it may be the simplest way to allow people
> to do this (and maybe there are other useful things they could do
> as well).
>
> Possible objections are:
> 1) possibly dangerous

same for commandline options delivered by environment var

> 2) requires change to the duplicity command line interface
>    (though using an env var such as DUPLICITY_RSYNC_OPTIONS
>    would get around that -- could be looked at just in the
>    rsync back-end)

one line in commandline.py
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.6-series/view/head:/duplicity/commandline.py#L448
and usage
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.6-series/view/head:/duplicity/backends/sshbackend.py#L58

- are replaced to be _ in the var name

> 3) There's no harm in using --partial-dir all the time, as far
>    as I can see. (We might want to extend 'cleanup' to remove
>    any partial transfer info.)

sounds reasonable

>> it would e.g. allow users to override the rsh with their own value.
>
> I think RSYNC_RSH does that already, but I take your general point.

was the first what came to mind

>> any contribution is welcome.
>
> Ok, I'll see what I can cook up, perhaps taking the env var
> approach since it makes only small changes and only to the
> rsync back end (and the documentation, of course).

as we already have --ssh-options, --gpg-options and documented environment vars
currently target core duplicity functionality i really suggest you choose
--rsync-options instead.

could you please document the functionality in the manpage as well?
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.6-series/view/head:/duplicity.1

i'll probably doing some work on duplicity these days, so you might want send
the patch to the list and i'll setup a branch so the duplicity maintainer can
add it easily.

thanks, ede/duply.net