Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:46:35 +0200

On 31.08.2011 15:33, Eliot Moss wrote:
> On 8/31/2011 8:04 AM, address@hidden wrote:
>> maybe we should add a --rsync-options switch for advanced users?
>
> That's one angle -- potentially dangerous, but advanced users proceed
> at their own risk, eh?
>
> I tried a quick and dirty insertion of --partial-dir=.rsync-partial in
> the rsync back-end command (self.cmd).  This adds the flag in all cases,
> which may not make sense for cases other than get/put.

the manual states that you need --partial to activate resuming. --partial-dir
is merely mentioned as a 'better way' to store the part files. are you sure it
resumes without --partial set?

> So, --partial-dir helps for retry, provided the receiving remote
> has terminated. I am not sure if there is any simple way to
> terminate a previous attempt (to force the partial file into
> the --partial-dir directory), so this may be the best we can do.
> Still, for large files, which are more likely to be interrupted,
> it seems to be of some use, and easy to apply.
>
> If it is desired to make it optional, we might do so via an
> environment variable (say, PARTIAL_DIR). Now rsync already has
> an environment variable it looks for, for specifying the
> directory, but setting that environment variable does not by
> itself enable the partial transfer feature. So my suggestion
> would be to use a different variable to control whether
> duplicity will do this in the rsync back end, and to have the
> rsync back end python logic perhaps use the rsync environment
> variable, if it is set, or supply the default .rsync-partial
> if it is not.

what is your rationale against --rsync-options='', it can do the same but much
more if somebody intents to. a hint in the manpage can tell people to consider
--rsync-options='--partial' and we are set.

it would e.g. allow users to override the rsh with their own value.

> I'm not much of a python hacker, but I could try to develop
> a patch for your consideration and tidying ...

any contribution is welcome.

.. ede/duply.net