Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can backup but unable to verify due to GPG error

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Can backup but unable to verify due to GPG error
Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 12:28:26 +0200

On 21.08.2011 11:51, Laurynas Biveinis wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I am able to do full and incremental backups, but verify fails with
>
> Local and Remote metadata are synchronized, no sync needed.
> Last full backup date: Sat Aug 20 17:54:32 2011
> GPGError: GPG Failed, see log below:
> ===== Begin GnuPG log =====
> gpg: CAST5 encrypted data
> gpg: encrypted with 1 passphrase
> gpg: decryption failed: bad key
> ===== End GnuPG log =====
>
> Any idea what I'm doing wrong? After failing verify further
> incremental backups seem to work OK.
>
> For backups, I set PASSPHRASE and invoke duplicity as
> duplicity --exclude $HOME/tmp $HOME $BACKUP_PATH
>
> For verify, PASSPHRASE is set the same of course.
>
> Duplicity v. 0.6.10 (I've read the ChangeLog for any relevant changes
> up to 0.6.15, didn't notice any) on Ubuntu 10.10.
>
> TIA,

please send the private data obfuscated output of a duplicity backup _and_
verify run with -v9 so we can see what is going on. use pastebin if it get's
really big.

also try to delete the local archive folder of your backup (see output for the
path to it). it contains unencrypted data needed for incremental resuming and
my guess is that for some reason the password ending up with gpg called in
duplicity is really not the same. so after deleting the archive an incremental
backup will probably fail as well because it is missing the correct passphrase.

do you use a shell script to call duplicity? please post it as well.

ede/duply.net