Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity is push/pull backup?

From: pradyumna dash
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity is push/pull backup?
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 15:53:17 +0200

Thanks Guys for the quick answer.  Much appreciated.

Regards,
Pradyumna

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM, Chris Poole <address@hidden> wrote:
2011/8/2 pradyumna dash <address@hidden>:

> I would like to know whether duplicity is push backup or pull backup, I
> would like to have a design where the backup server fetch the data from the
> servers,

Duplicity does all of its processing on the client side, and then pushes these
files to the backup location. The backup location is assumed to be dumb; that
is, we can read, write and delete files, but not really anything else. No trust
is put in the backup location, in the sense that all encryption and signing
operations are done on the client side, before sending to the backup.

> does the backup retain file attributes as original file, hard
> links,permissions,ownership etc.

From the Duplicity home page:

> Currently duplicity supports deleted files, full unix permissions,
> directories, and symbolic links, fifos, and device files, but not hard links.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Chris Poole
[PGP BAD246F9]