Re: [Duplicity-talk] idea on gpg zombies

From: Ed Blackman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] idea on gpg zombies
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 15:58:51 -0400

On Sat, Jul 02, 2011 at 09:38:41AM -0400, Nate Eldredge wrote:
I agree with Edgar. I think there are situations where this is a perfectly reasonable thing to want to do. Imagine a large dataset with frequent small changes that overwrite one another. It may be important to save past backups for a long time, so that one can recover the data as it was at any time in the past. However, there may not be enough backup space to store lots of full backups. In this case the only good option is a single full backup plus lots of incrementals.

I'm not familiar with the internals of duplicity, but is it possible to rebase an incremental chain?

In other words, set some limit (fixed? configurable?) for the length of a chain of incrementals. For the purposes of discussion, say it's X. Like today, incremental 1 is based off of the full, and incrementals 2 through X would be based on the one before it. But incremental X+1 would be an incremental from the full again. Incrementals X+2 through 2X would still be based on the one before it again, incremental 2X+1 would be based on the full again, and so on.

Currently incremental chains require more and more resources to process as they get longer and longer. Additionally, the longer a current incremental chain is, the higher the chance becomes that some part of the chain will become corrupt, causing problems for all the incrementals after it. Rebasing the chain on the full backup after X incrementals limits the resources required to X*(resources for single incremental), and limits the damage done by a corrupted incremental backup to X*(time period between incrementals).

This would come at the cost of X+1 incrementals being bigger than they are now, since they would, in effect, roll up all the changes from the previous incrementals into one delta. But my guess is that in most use cases it would be significantly smaller than a full backup.

Again, I have no idea if this is feasible, but I thought it might be a good idea for discussion.

--
Ed Blackman