Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity + SSH - SFTP

From: Nate Eldredge
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity + SSH - SFTP
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 23:11:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011, eleanor wrote:

2) Yes I know about sftp, but if I enable sftp for users, they won't
be able to login normally via ssh - but only with sftp, which is very
limited (and I don't want that). So the second option is not possible.

This doesn't make sense to me. As far as I know, sftp works by opening an ordinary ssh connection, and then asking the remote server to enter a special sftp mode (implemented as either part of sshd or a separate binary). So anyone who has regular ssh access should be able to use sftp as well, without doing anything extra. Have you actually tried it? It works for me, on every machine where I have ssh access.

What you are discussing sounds like an option on your system to give certain users "crippled" access to ssh, where they can't run anything except sftp. But I bet if you *don't* use this option, then ssh and sftp will both work.

How can I get the --use-scp option. My options are:
duplicity version 0.6.06 running on linux2.

That's quite an old version, which you should probably upgrade anyway, but I think it is unrelated to your problem.

--

Nate Eldredge