Re: [Duplicity-talk] Different session key for each backup volume?

From: Christopher Kunz
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Different session key for each backup volume?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 15:23:53 +0200

Am 24.06.2011 14:48, schrieb Chris Poole:
As such, my assumption is that Duplicity assembles a plaintext volume, which is
then run though GPG before being uploaded somewhere.

Then it grabs more plaintext data, packs it into a volume of a certain size
again, and runs GPG again. As such, each volume will have a different 'session
key' generated.

My question really pertains to how Duplicity, or perhaps how the GPG library
that it uses, works. I assume it doesn't start up GPG, generate a session key
once, then somehow keep that session going such that each volume uses the same
random key for all the symmetric encryption.

Each volume is piped through GPG separately, so I'd presume there's a different session key each time.

The question though (still): How would someone gain access to the session key? I can't see a scenario. That key is only available in memory on the client machine during archive creation. And of course in encrypted form in the volume, but to decrypt it you need the privkey.

Gruß,

--ck

--
Filoo GmbH
Christopher Kunz, Geschäftsführer

Web: http://www.filoo.de/
E-Mail: address@hidden
Tel.: (+49) 0 52 48 / 1 89 84 -11
Fax: (+49) 0 52 48 / 1 89 84 -20

Please sign & encrypt mail wherever possible, my key:
C882 8ED1 7DD1 9011 C088 EA50 5CFA 2EEB 397A CAC1

Moltkestraße 25a
33330 Gütersloh, Germany

HRB4355, AG Gütersloh
Geschäftsführer: S.Grewing, J.Rehpöhler, C.Kunz

Folgen Sie uns auf Twitter: http://twitter.com/filoogmbh