Re: [Duplicity-talk] merge full and incremental on backup side

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] merge full and incremental on backup side
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:15:08 -0500

2011/4/20 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <address@hidden>
On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 01:45:45PM +0200, Erno Kovacs wrote:
> Hey,
>
> is it possible to merge a full backup with incremental backups on
> backup side?
> I would like to do 1 full backup _once_ and then daily incremental
> backups AND after 7 days I would like to merge the oldest incremental
> to the full backup. This way I would have backup for 7 days without
> the need to do full backup ever again.

I think duplicity supposes that the 'backup side' has no chance of executing
anything, and so the client only uses put/get operations to the backup end.

Maybe you should could use a full backup, then incremental backups, and never do
a full backup anymore. Depending on how your amount of data increases, it may be
an acceptable solution.

In any case, we are facing a situation like yours, and if someone has a better
solution than what I've said, I'd like to hear about it.

Duplicity assumes that the only functions available on the remote are PUT, GET, LIST, and DELETE, in other words, a dumb remote.  Merging a full backup would require that it be brought back to the local machine, modified, and uploaded to the remote.

I've thought of ways to do this with remotes that support rsync, but not many people use that, so it's essentially an academic exercise at this point.