Re: [Duplicity-talk] How does duplicity backup a 4D data base or a entou

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] How does duplicity backup a 4D data base or a entourage database
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 19:08:06 -0600

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 5:08 PM, David Page <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello

Can duplicity backup the changed parts of a 4D or entourage database correctly.  I have a few doctors that use $D for their Genie practice management database and the 4D database is generally over 1 Gb in size.  Also Entourage databases are get very large as well.

Does duplicity recognise the differences correctly or does it resend the entire database each time there is a backup.

I'm not familiar with the databases you mention, however, some general observations.

- Database is quiescent during backup, otherwise corrupt backups occur.
- Duplicity will backup the changes in the files.  If the changes are spread evenly over a particular file, most of the file will be backed up, however, if the changes are localized, then just the changes will be backed up.  Again, it depends on the database.