Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: BZIP2 support on Mac OSX does not seem to work

From: Patrik Lermon
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: BZIP2 support on Mac OSX does not seem to work
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 09:12:07 +0200

Try using the file command:
$ file -k <file>

27 aug 2010 kl. 01:22 skrev Tim Riemenschneider <address@hidden>:

Am 18.08.2010 17:37, schrieb Madhusudan Singh:
The .tar.gpg should read .difftar.gpg. The question stands.

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM, Madhusudan Singh <address@hidden> wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to use duplicity (latest version and dependencies from MacPorts) to create .tar.bz2.gpg (compressed and encrypted) backups on a remote Linux server.

I am usingĀ --gpg-options='--compress-algo=bzip2 --bzip2-compress-level=9' as the command line option as suggested in various discussions accessible via Google.

However, the remote backups created are .tar.gpg (and hence are not compressed).

So the filename is still the same, who cares? The filename / file extension does not define the filetype. (At least not on anything but Windows)
So gpg probably uses bzip.
To be sure, you could create 2 backups of the same files (to different diretories) and compare sizes.
(The fileextension .difftar.gpg does not mean the files are uncompressed. They are probably gzip-compressed with the default-options)

cu
Tim