Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Manifest errors

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Manifest errors
Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 15:41:28 +0200

smells like a backend error, which one are you using? So far duplicity did the right thing and told you your backup's corrupted ;)

..ede

On 21.05.2010 15:28, address@hidden wrote:
On 19/05/2010 16:25, address@hidden wrote:
I've just upgraded to 0.6.08b and I'm now seeing the following error:

Manifests not equal because different volume numbers
Fatal Error: Remote manifest does not match local one. Either the
remote backup set or the local archive directory has been corrupted.

[snip]

Is there anyway to reset the local archive directory and recover from
the remote one?

I've investigated this a little further. What seems to be causing the
error is that the remote manifest files are all 0 bytes long. The actual
backups and sig files are fine however.

I've managed to recover them from the local archive by piping the local
copies through gpg and overwriting the remote version:

cat
/path/to/local/archive/ee7f00c2954eaaed661145c63b1e5fd9/duplicity-inc.20100510T192334Z.to.20100512T201154Z.manifest
| gpg --encrypt -r ENCRYPTIONKEY >
/path/to/remote/duplicity-inc.20100510T093738Z.to.20100512T200002Z.manifest.gpg

I've no idea how the manifests are generated with zero length on the
remote side (and no errors from duplicity). I'm also not too sure of the
consequences of my fix. I'm running some verification tests on the
backups at the moment to see what happens. I'm going to switch on some
debug logging on the next backup to see if I get any clues if it happens
again.

Anyone know if this fix is ok (or if duplicity can do this automatically?)

Thanks

Marcus